Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Meet my FXB Instructors: MC Número




MC Número: a.k.a Jess S.


So, I moved Jess up in the rotation of the Meet My FXB Instructors series. I have reason to go ahead and slot her in now—if you had her for class this week, you’d understand.

I have to admit, my nickname for Jess has evolved over the last few weeks. I love the end result, and I hope she can appreciate it :-)

Let me break it down for you.

“MC”

One of my happiest experiences at FXB was a day not long ago when MC Número was leading an upper-body class. We were near the end of the 45 minutes and it was time for our hammer curl exercises (I’m assuming you know what these are, but if not it’s a bicep curl but holding your hands with your thumbs on top rather than to the side). Just as we started our first hammer curl, the stereo speakers belted out...

“You can’t touch this.”

Ah, MC Número got a little excited. I mean, it reinvigorated most of the class, but Jess was all kinds of excited. Who could blame her—the timing couldn’t have been any more perfect. Cranking out our hammer curls to the pumped up song by MC Hammer... The only thing that would have made the moment complete perfection is if Jess would have been wearing Hammer Pants!

Now, whenever I hear MC Hammer I think of Jess with her huge smile as we execute those perfectly timed hammer curls.

Good times, good times.

“Número”

If you’ve had Jess in class, then you know she is sometimes a bit challenged with her counts. I love it, because it means I’m not alone in the struggle to remember to count and breathe at the same time. It’s not uncommon to hear her count, “...7, 8, 8, 7... ops... 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 4, 3, 2, 1... wait... 4, 3, 2, 1” Yes, that would be an example of when she was counting out a classic 16 set, when it should have been a 24 set and she tacks on the additional counts at the end.

Then there are the moments when she’s talking as opposed to counting. Even better are the times when she’s walking around talking, rather than standing up front counting. I’m thinking, “Wait, you can’t stand and count at the same time... how can you walk, talk AND count at the same time? How many of these will we end up doing???” Ironically, she seems to keep the count better when she talks. I think... I’m too busy worrying about her counting to actually count in my own head...

Occasionally she throws out the numbers en español.

¿Qué?

Hence, Jess has now been dubbed (at least by me) as MC Número. I think it’s possible that it’s just her stealth way of making us work harder... But that’s OK by me because she sure makes our workouts fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment