Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Meet my FXB Instructors: Ali



Ali: a.k.a. Lyndsey





















There might actually be a few of you out there who think I’m referencing the amazing Prince Ali Ababwa.



I will admit that Lyndsey and Prince Ali share charming conman abilities. Prince Ali is able to make Princess Jasmine believe he is a real Prince, and Lyndsey is able to make you believe you are capable of giving a Level 10 you never knew you possessed. Oh, and it looks like they also share some amazing guns!

But that’s not the Ali that reminds me of Lyndsey. No, I’m talking about the late, great Muhammad Ali. Aside from the fact that I believe she could hold her own in an actual boxing ring, there is one famous Ali quote that I believe embodies Lyndsey:



As I break this down, I’m actually going to start with the ‘sting like a bee’ part. There are 3 elements to this:

1) Power
I think this should be obvious. Lyndsey is a BEAST on the mat (and, frankly, off the mat too). I seriously would not want to be on the receiving end of one of her punches or kicks. I’m quite certain it would feel much, much worse than a bee sting.



2) Purpose
I don’t know a lot about bees, but what I do know is that they are very hard workers. They are endlessly doing their bee-thing, and Lyndsey is no different. She works hard on the mat, both as a FIT member and as an instructor. She has often been accused of designing intense workouts in her sleep. She is determined to perform at her best and make the rest of us do the same.

3) That hair . . .
Lyndsey has another fitting nickname—Pebbles. It’s because of her usual hairstyle at the gym:



Well, I’m here to set you all straight. That’s not a Pebbles Flinstone ponytail—it’s actually her stinger.

Now for the ‘float like a butterfly’ part. I know the initial intent behind this quote was that Ali was quick and hard to catch on the mat. While Lyndsey is also very quick, I feel the symbolism behind the butterfly fits her perfectly. The way it’s said here on Pure Spirit is a perfect description of Lyndsey:

Butterfly is the power of air, the ability to float upon a breeze. It is known for its daring flight; thus, it represents the mind and our ability to change it when necessary. Butterfly represents the never-ending cycle of life; therefore, its medicine bestows not only the ability, but the clarity of mind needed before self-transformation.

Butterflies appear to dance as they flitter among the flowers. They remind us not to take things so seriously within our lives. They awaken a sense of lightness and joy. They remind us to get up and move, for if you do not move, you cannot dance.

Butterflies bring color and joy with them. The colors of the butterfly should be examined for significance and to help you understand its role within your life. Look at how much or little joy is in your life. Lighten up. Look for change. Make changes when the opportunities present themselves. The butterfly will teach you that growth and change do not have to be traumatic. Change can occur as gently and as joyfully as one wishes.

Since my first day at FXB, Lyndsey has been like a butterfly in my life. She is there when I need encouragement, a slight (or strong) push to keep moving, or a reminder of why I’m on this journey. And I know for a fact I’m not the only person who can make this claim.

So, Ali, keep on floating like the butterfly you are, but never stop stinging us with your inner beast!


~Carrie 

No comments:

Post a Comment